--> To start the process of becoming a referee, please visit Become a New Referee Step-by-Step – FLSRC – Florida Soccer Referees.
All referee courses are currently held online. Follow the prompts to create your referee profile, please ensure you take the Grassroots Referee Course.
All newly trained referees start in our recreational soccer program, there, they gain their experience and increase their confidence. When the referee assignor thinks you are ready to move onto the next level (competitive soccer), he will then speak to you and assign you games at the competitive level via gotsoccer. Please do not create a referee account at gotsoccer as FYSA will create one for you and send you the temporary userid and password. Click on [Referees and Assignors], Click on [Register] underneath [New Accounts].
If you are over 18, a background check must be performed. If you are under 18, you must perform an age verification. This can be found at the top of your gotsoccer referee account web page.
What is the minimum age to become a referee?
The minimum age is 13 years old. Anyone who, prior to July 1, 2019 was certified as a referee and, was less than 13 years old is allowed by US Soccer to continue their referee certification for the 2021 registration year and beyond.
I took the new referee entry course and I have finished my modules and test, what’s next?
3 times during each month between July and December, and twice between January and March, all course completions are exported from the registration system and sent to the United State Soccer Federation Referee Program office where a USSF ID number is assigned. When the registration comes back with the assigned ID number, the information is sent to Florida Youth Soccer Association (FYSA). FYSA is the designated Risk Management (RM background check) authority in the State of Florida. Florida Statutes require any one over the age of 18 is required to perform a Background Check. FYSA will notify by email each new referee of their Risk Management responsibility. Any cost for RM is between FYSA and the individual referee. Referees under the age of 18, only verify their age. FYSA will create a new referee gotsoccer account for you and will email you your temporary log-in information.
When do I receive my referee badge?
Newly Certified Referee badges will be issued by USSF
Please review the documents below:
Referee Dress Code - This document will help you with looking like a pro on the sidelines.
Information from US Soccer for the NEW Referee – New Referees have many questions, that’s OK! The attached guide helps you get the answers you are looking for.
Laws of the Game, please download by clicking: HERE
Referee's Code of Conduct:
- Always remember that the game is for the players. Player safety and fair play comes first.
- Study and learn the laws of the Game and understand the “spirit” of the Laws. Help fellow referees do the same.
- Encourage and enforce the philosophies of “Everyone Plays,” “Positive Coaching” and “Good Sportsmanship.”
- Respect other referees’ decisions and do not publicly criticize another official.
- Dress and Act Professional. Shirt tucked in and socks are picked up. Look like you want to be there!
- Maintain good physical condition so you can keep up with the action.
- Stay calm when confronted with emotional reactions from players, coaches and parents.
- Honor accepted game assignments. In an emergency, find a replacement.
- Support good sportsmanship with a kind word to players, coaches and parents of both teams when deserved.
- Always be fair and impartial, avoiding conflicts of interest. Decisions based on personal bias are dishonest and unacceptable.
For All Referee Communication and Scheduling: Please contact Referee Assignor Barry Finkelstein at email@example.com
2020/2021 USA League Referee Fee Structure (subject to change without notice), these fees differ to BRSC's recreational program (see below for fee structure):
|Age Group||Center Referee||Assistant Referee||
|U11/12||$50||$25 per AR||$100|
|U13/14||$60||$30 per AR||$120|
|U15 - U19||$70||$35 per AR||